25 June 2001

Eastern Europe, 25 Jun-8 Jul 2001

Eastern Europe, 25 Jun-8 Jul 2001



Isn't he cute? :) Saw him selling pictures on Charles Bridge so we went over to buy a picture and asked for a photo with him!!

I don't remember how this group of four got together but I do remember we called this the matchmaking trip!! BH and I were the matchmakers heh heh :p

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

25 June

Our first stop was Krakow. We flew directly into Krakow, which on retrospect was quite stupid cos that jacked up the price of our flights a lot! But well, I didn't know about the budget airlines at that time, damn!

So we went to the Wieliczka Salt Mine. I remember the way down was pretty scary. It was kind of deep and lit with yellow light so it was creepy too.. But it was amazing to find so many sculptures in a salt mine! What were the miners thinking...

We also went to the dragon cave where a dragon sculpture sprouted fire!



This was completely random. We passed by a busker who was pretty good! He must be cos I paid haha! And I wanted to take a photo with him but he was naughty and pulled up my pony tail!!



Oh, one word of caution: We heard that thugs could pose as police and ask tourists for their passports and then extort money for their return. One day, two guys approached us but BH waved them off (and waved the rest of us to continue walking) and told them we would see them at the police station! Senpai, suteki!!

28 June

Headed for the Auschwitz concentration camp - this gate says "arbeit macht frei", meaning work for freedom.



We took a tour in the camp, walking the route prisoners took, many to their deaths in the gas chambers. The mountains of human hair, shoes, spectacles silently told the horror stories of their owners.. *shudders*

29 June

I no longer remember what we did in Budapest! Except for celebrating BH's birthday at a restaurant called Fatal, recommended by some who went before us. The portions were HUGE! I remember wishing I could bring the pretty menu home!



1 July

I fell ill as we went to Vienna so I couldn't remember much of what happened *.*

We were at some carnival - that's me flanked by BH and GS:



And we went to the famous ferris wheel - I thought it looked pretty hideous *.* But it turned out to be quite fun :) XY and me:



4 July

I think this is my favourite part of the trip - Prague! And not least we met the cute guy on the bridge haha!

Charles Bridge is really pretty. An old man was playing a saxophone. There were many people walking down the bridge, crowding at the many stalls along the bridge. It just felt good to be there :) But it was really, really hot!

Something bizarre happened on the day GS left - he had planned to go back to Oxford earlier. Anyway, tmi here but it was funny just thinking about it :p

No comments: